02/03/2021 0 Comments
Should I Repair or Replace My Roof?
Tips from Ottawa’s Trusted Roofing Company
The roof of your home or business works in tandem with the foundation and walls of the building.
It is the first to receive the UV rays and pounding rains while it protects the people and contents inside. When it is in good shape, everything and everyone stays dry, warm or cool, and happy. Once damage occurs, however, water can leak into the walls leading the way for mold to grow.
Knowing when to repair versus when to replace a roof depends on many factors. A specialist from Sanderson Roofing knows the difference and which option makes sense for your situation. Whether it is made up of asphalt shingles or is a flat commercial one, our experienced team is ready to help ensure your investment is protected.
Damages to Look for in Your Roofing System
Ascertaining the condition of your roof is critical to deciding whether to repair or replace the system. In general, look for the following signs of damage:
- Discoloured shingles
- Asphalt granules collecting in the gutters
- Missing, cracked, torn, curling, or bald shingles
- Age of the roof
- Sunken/sagging areas of decking
- Blistering membranes
- Large rips or tears in rubber membranes
- Small holes or punctures
- Water leaks in the interior of your house or business
When It Makes Sense for Roof Repair
- There are only a few shingles missing in a small area.
- The roof is relatively new; that is, it has not reached the end of life of the materials.
- If you know the reason for the damage and it is isolated, such as from a storm.
When It Makes Sense for Roof Replacement
It is not always possible to make a few repairs to extend the life of your roof. Sometimes the damage is so extensive that only a replacement can fix it, such as:
- You find extensive water damage or signs of moisture. Water is a powerful force that can weaken the integrity of a structure and breed mold.
- There has been a recent disaster like a severe storm or tornado or even an extremely harsh winter causing extensive damage.
- The age of your roof plays a factor when other issues are happening. A new one that is leaking may be a sign of poor installation, but an old one could be at the end of its useful life.
Trusted Roofing Contractors in Ottawa
Avoid guessing what your next move should be. At Sanderson Roofing, we have over 120 years of experience to help you determine your next step. Our crew of professionals will come in, do the work, and clean up afterward, leaving you with a gorgeous roof and no worry of leftover debris. We offer a variety of roofing services to protect your investment and give you peace of mind. From residential to commercial projects, you can trust us to do the job right at a fair price.