What Type of Shingles Are the Best: Thick or Thin?
Roof shingles are available in a variety of patterns, textures and colours, they are an essential aspect of any building's aesthetics. Shingles act as a protective barrier and increase the curb appeal of your property. It is essential to select quality roofing shingles for your property to reduce maintenance costs and eliminate potential repairs. Sanderson Roofing can help you with roof shingle repairs & replacement in Ottawa. With 125 years of experience in the industry, we offer cost-effective solutions for all your roofing needs. We cater to both commercial and residential clients.
Different Types of Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles are available in two varieties: strip and dimensional laminated. Strip shingle is made up of a single strip of the material while dimensional laminated shingle has multiple layers of material. Shingles are ccomposed a fiberglass mat, saturated in asphalt and covered with a layer of slate granules on top.
Asphalt shingles can last anywhere between 25 to 50 years based on their quality. Though they do not require much maintenance initially, regular inspection should be carried out to prevent the shingles from curling or cracking. Asphalt shingles are prone to damage from sunlight and wind.
Regular asphalt shingles (3-tab shingles) are flat with the shingle tab having only one shape and size. The laminated architectural shingles are built with a heavier base material. They are made up of multiple layers. This makes them appear much more dimensional. It is a textured look most people prefer.
How are Lamented Architectural Shingles Different from Traditional 3-Tab Shingles?
Here are a few benefits of architectural shingles over 3-tab shingles:
- Architectural shingles are thicker and weigh around 50 per cent more than asphalt 3-tab shingles.
- Roofs made up of architectural shingles are durable and last longer (50 years)3-tab shingle roofs have to be replaced earlier than architectural shingle roofs. (25 years)
- Architectural shingles come with a much longer warranty than most 3-tab shingles. Most of the architectural shingle manufacturers offer a minimum of a 50 year guarantee on their products.
- Architectural shingles offer better resistance against higher speeds of wind compared to 3-tab shingles.
- Architectural shingles are more expensive than 3-tab shingles. However, they are much more efficient in the long run as their quality is better than 3-tab shingles.
- Architectural shingles help enhance the curb appeal of a home. They are a preferred option for most homeowners these days.
- All these advantages have increased the popularity of architectural shingles among customers. Manufacturers are phasing out the production of traditional 3-tab shingles.
Sanderson Roofing offers an extensive range of roofing services to clients in Ottawa. We can help with: shingle roof replacement; roof shingle repairs, and roof snow removal, and flat roofing repairs. We provide affordable and long-term solutions to all your roofing needs.
Read our blog - How to Choose the Right Roofing Contractor - to ensure all your roofing repairs and installations are done by a trusted contractor.
For more information on our services, contact us today!